EXCLUSIVE! Jim Reeves Plane Crash Video

EXCLUSIVE! Jim Reeves Plane Crash Video

1st posted & Copyright 2012 PageTurner Books LLC featuring Dan Hurst and Larry Jordan WORLD EXCLUSIVE! The historic video you are about to view is very rare….

Share and Enjoy:
  • Digg
  • StumbleUpon
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • Yahoo! Buzz
  • Twitter
  • Google Bookmarks

15 Responses to EXCLUSIVE! Jim Reeves Plane Crash Video

• Larry Jordan says:

In response to LEG49724, Jim was not thrown through the propellor. You need
    to read my book, “Jim Reeves: His Untold Story.” I devote two chapters to
    describing the events leading up to and following the crash, based on my
    taped interviews with key individuals at the airport, the search party, and
    the long-lost accident report. I give you the forensic evidence of what
    happened, the attitude of the plane as it came down, what struck the ground
    first, how Reeves was ejected, even the propellor gouge at the base of the
    tree. I also have the entire color movie from which these excerpts were
    extracted, and they show the remains of both men close up.

• Larry Jordan says:

No, this film was not shot by a professional photographer. It was done by
    an amateur who rushed to the scene. He shot 3 rolls of color “home movie”
    film and it was spliced together. Actually, it is out of sequence and hence
    a bit confusing, so that’s why I wrote such a detailed description of what
    you are seeing and when.

• Larry Jordan says:

The rain storm that Jim flew underneath was of very brief but intense
    duration, such that when Bill Larson, Jim’s charter pilot (who was at the
    airport awaiting the return of Jim and Dean) got airborne within a few
    minutes of the plane disappearing, the storm had already moved on. It was
    only an isolated cell about two miles across.

• zyxquark says:

I suppose his background as a pitcher who almost made the big leagues
    followed by being a successful singing star made him overconfident.

• Melvyn Kitson says:

Just finished reading your book, and unless I missed it, what was the
    cause of death stated on the death certificates…

• zyxquark says:

very interesting and very honest.

• Melvyn Kitson says:

PS A very very good book, with lots of surprises for you Jim Reeves fans

• Larry Jordan says:

NONE

• Steven Dunn says:

I always have wondered why so many famous people died in plane crashes in
    the 50’s and 60 ‘s Patsy Cline crash is another example of I believe poor
    pilot judgement.

• paulh9018 says:

I didn’t think Jim and Marty were exactly best buddies from what I
    remember from reading Larry’s excellent book. I believe Eddy Arnold joined
    the search for Jim.
    Porter Wagoner was a golfing buddy in the early 60’s I know, and possibly
    Eddy too.

• GarryH1963 says:

How long was it after the crash that the storm died out? I read that the
    hot weather afterwards made it very tough going for the searchers. It must
    have been gruesome to find them in all that heat.

• Paula Winters says:

do you know who shot this film? The reason I ask is that my dad, Doug
    Underwood, was a reporter/photographer for WSM-TV at the time and covered
    the wreck and I wonder if this was film he shot.

• Steven Dunn says:

Is there a recording that exist between the control tower and Jim Reeves?

• Larry Jordan says:

Thanks for your comments John. It is a fact that Jim Reeves got his pilot’s
    license before he was ready to fly. However, one thing to keep in mind is
    that he HAD indeed been flying the Beech Debonair for awhile (since January
    of 1964) so he should have become fairly accustomed to it, and he practiced
    touch-and-gos regularly (although he did not, of course, practice flying by
    instruments although even VFR pilots ARE given some minimal instruction in
    this regard such that Jim should have been able to successfully execute a
    turn even when losing his ground references). Although he learned in a
    slower Cessna, he did have further instruction in a Cessna with a variable
    pitch propellor and retractable landing gear, plus instruction from
    salesman Fred Bunyan in the Beech. However, I certainly would agree that
    his skill level was not commensurate with the challenge he faced that day
    due to the weather. His first big mistake was to miscalculate the ability
    of the small, isolated storm cell to intersect his flight path. He told the
    controller he thought his present heading would take him to the right of
    it. He was wrong. The crash itself is not necessarily the mysterious part
    of the story, but the crash AFTERMATH is, and how authorities reacted.
    There are some very strange things that happened, as I detail in my book.

• Larry Jordan says:

Bill, I appreciate your sharing your reminiscence with us, about your
    search for the plane. But in my book, “Jim Reeves: His Untold Story,” I go
    into great detail about this matter, which was not as simple as it appears
    on the surface. Radar WAS indeed sophisticated enough to pinpoint the EXACT
    location of Jim’s plane, as attested to by the airport officials I taped
    interviews with, plus the recollections of Bill Larson, one of Jim’s
    charter pilots, who was at the airport that day expecting to rendezvous
    with Jim and Dean Manuel upon their return. Bill was the first to get
    airborne after Jim’s plane went down, and controller John Hettish, (the
    last to speak with Jim by radio), vectored Bill over the EXACT spot. Larson
    couldn’t see anything from the air because the plane had penetrated the
    tree canopy at a steep angle. But it was easy to find by ground searchers
    who, incidentally, convened just yards away. There is substantial new
    evidence which suggests authorities found the wreckage that Friday, but
    deliberately diverted searchers AWAY from the area. They did this because
    they were eager to find a briefcase before the public was told of the crash
    location. This is a very complex story that I describe in my book. A new
    book called “Hit List” by Richard Belzer and David Wayne devotes an entire
    chapter to the Jim Reeves crash and the anomalies of the search efforts,
    based on my research and I am quoted extensively. I also turned up a
    neighbor who saw people RUNNING TO THE CRASH SITE from Franklin Rd. seconds
    after the plane went down (remember this was during rush hour), and yet he
    was never interviewed by authorities. After I filed a FOIA request for
    files, a federal judge ordered files on Jim destroyed, and still other
    files are under seal with Kennedy assassination records. Reeves was in
    Dallas with his band the day JFK was killed, and that night recognized Lee
    Harvey Oswald on TV (Jim had a photographic memory), and commented he could
    never forget that face. Oswald had been at Jim’s shows when he played Dewey
    Groon’s nightclub in Dallas, which had been co-owned by Jack Ruby. Check
    out my book at http://www.jimreevesbook.com for more.

Follow countrymusic on Twitter